01 October 2024

Awesome Addis Ababa

As a professional who worked in Africa for many years, I have always been interested in Africa based documentaries. This morning I had the pleasure of viewing one such documentary on Addis Ababa, the capital city of Ethiopia. 

I taught Physics in Ethiopian Government Senior Secondary Schools in Endaselassie and later in Sheno, a small town near Addis Ababa, in 1982 and 1983. I remember my frequent visits to Addis Ababa during weekends.

I and my good friend Sebastian (Sebastian Perumcheril John) got our initial posting in Endaselassie a remote village in Tigrai region. It was a small village but land locked. There was a lot of separatist violence and gunshots were common. It was not safe to walk on streets even during day time. Although the local Police prevented crimes in the village, missile and gun shot attacks by Tigrai Liberation Front from outside the village  into any area in the village were very common. Hence I and Sebastian went to Addis Ababa and stayed in the city to try for transfer to the city or any neighbouring town. During that period, I stayed in Awraris Hotel, which was a 5 star hotel. It was a bit expensive, but very comfortable. I nostalgically remember my favourite vegetarian pizza and the varieties of coffee seved in the restaurant. I remember the UNESCO Library very near the Education Ministry, German Cultural Centre and The British Council Library, to which I was a regular visitor. I remember the first two books that I bought in one of the numerous well stocked book shops in the city. One of the two books contained all songs sung by The Beatles. The other book was a secondary school Physics textbook written by one Mr Murray. I could also buy audio cassette tapes in book shops. It was great fun to see films such as Amithab Bachan's 'Kaalaa Paththar', Arthur C Clarke's '2001: A Space Odyssey', etc.

I love Addis Ababa a lot. Let me take you on a virtual visit to this interesting city.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.