27 July 2026

Table manners

This morning I read a very meaningful article. It presented the real picture of how most of our children and many adults behave in our own country and abroad.

It is very common for many people to cough without closing their mouth at the dining table and not to wash the wash basin after mouth wash. For this reason, I avoid using restaurants. If there is no alternative, I look for a dining table with empty chairs. After sitting in the chair and placing order for some item, as I begin eating, some one occupies the chair opposite to that of mine and coughs loudly without closing his/her mouth or not turning his/her face away from the table. I have experienced this many times in restaurants and a few times at the restaurant near my current residence. Such things have happened only when our own Indians share dining tables. I have never come across such odd behaviour in westerners. I think that our fellow Indians should learn table manners from westerners although table manners are very clearly explained in detail in our respected Sanaathana Dharmaa Scriptures. 

In one of my previous posts, I have mentioned about very well behaved children of an Indian couple at restaurant in Phnom Penh when I was having my lunch. I congratulated the couple and their two sons for the good behaviour of their children and for their role as effective parents. When I asked the gentlman where he worked, he said that he was Indian ambassador to Cambodia. He thanked me and said that I was very welcome to the embassy. His simplicity was exemplary. He said that he was from West Bengal and his wife, from Kerala. I think that all parents of today's children and youth should learn a lot from this couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.