03 September 2010

Off the beaten track: To Koh Kong, Cambodia

It is nearly a year since I returned home after a year's stay in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (where I worked at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports). This morning when I went out for some shopping, I could not help comparing the road conditions of Chennai (where I live), Phnom Penh (where I was based) and Koh Kong (a Cambodian fishing town, which I used to visit on work). 

Cambodia Map
Koh Kong is the capital town of a province with the same name.  It is a small beautiful town and is situated at nearly the same latitude as that of Phnom Penh, Bangkok and Chennai. It is very near the border with Thailand. The people were friendly like in other places in Cambodia.

Although, being a vegetarian, I did have an actue food problem, I could get it sorted out without difficulty, thanks to Indian restaurants (particularly Taste Buds, Aman and Annam) in Phnom Penh, from where I used to order vegetarian food that could be stored in fridge for 3 or 4 days, before leaving for Koh Kong. Of course, fresh fruits were abundantly available in the market place as well as in departmental stores in Koh Kong itself, just like in any other Cambodian village or town, not to mention Phnom Penh with several departmental stores and restaurants, including KFC, an outlet of which was just across the street, from my office at the Ministry of Education.

I cherish my memory of an evening dinner that I had with my Cambodian colleagues in a stilt on River Tonle Sap that flows along the town.
Signboard to the town

Road to Koh Kong

Restaurants on stilts on Tonle Sap







No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.