15 January 2011

Lesson concept development: Use of stories

When  we were young, it was customary for mothers and grandmothers to tell value based stories to their children so that they developed as good human beings. We were also taught to respect secularism. Besides parents, schools were also involved in teaching values to children.

When working as a teacher, I had always included stories to teach values and curricular concepts to my students.   I have taught a range of concepts (from dispersal of seeds in middle school science to diffraction of waves in precollege physics) by using stories. Yesterday, I got a communique from someone in Australia commending my idea after reading an article

Another significant advantage of stories is that they can be dramatised as illustrated in the following photograph (which shows my Grade 9 children engaged in a mini play on dignity of labour in a high school in Bangalore, where I had the joy of teaching children besides being the school principal).


  
I wish our textbooks contain a lot of stories through which children can be taught effectively.          

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.