07 June 2012

As I was browsing an ISKCON related website, I came across a very interesting article about Angkor Wat. As a person who worked in Cambodia, I know that Cambodia has many traditions which are similar to those in India. There are numerous words in Khmer (Cambodian national language) with Samskrit origin (for example `kaaryaalai' meaning `office' and `mukh' meaning `face') and Tamil origin (for example 'mun' meaning `before'). Names such as Karuna, Rachna and Sarath are common in Cambodia. Language and traditions of Khmer people seem to prove that cultural and trade ties between India and Cambodia were strong once upon a time. (Our school history textbooks don't seem to mention about this).

(Just before the end of my placement in Cambodia, I had the pleasure of initiating a programme through which Cambodian K-12 professionals and students can join our Universities for higher studies or professional training, thanks to our Indian Ambassador to Cambodia with whom I briefly discussed my proposal when meeting him in a very informal  setting at Dosa Corner, a popular Southern Indian restaurant in Phnom Penh).  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.