03 March 2021

Bunny Wailer, Bob Marley, Baffalo Soldier, Raggae and Ras Tafarian

Legendry reggae singer Bunny Wailer's death marks a void in Afro-American, Carribean and Reggae music. 

I remember  how he, his boyhood friend Bob Morley and fellow Jamaican Peter Tosche took youngsters by storm all over the world with their probably the first ever raggae band in the world. (I nostalgically remember the lyrics of songs such as "Buffalo Soldier" by Bob Morley and The Wailers. Their songs were meaningful and covered political and cultural aspects of the west Indian regional diaspora with East African origin. Their songs synchronised with many of Mark Twain's novels). 

Interestingly, when I had lived in Ethiopia in 1982 and 1983, I could infer the strong influence that Ras Tafarian culture in Ethiopia had on Jamaican people (although Ethiopia and Jamaica are far away from each other, separated by a few countries in Africa and the vast Atlantic ocean). 

It is amazing that Jamaicans cherish their Ras Tafarian identity to this day.

Bunny will be remembered by his numerous fans all over the world for his simple and nice music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.