09 May 2021

Fraud and Arrogance

A few days back I received an email inviting me to join their team of ELA editors, from a US based start up K-12 Curriculum Company called wisewire.com. I replied that I was not interested as I was not paid for the freelance work that I did for them in 2016. The Company spokesperson replied that the amount will be paid if I can fill a Form that includes the SWIFT Code of the bank in which I hold my savings account.

Immediately I communicated to the bank by phone to request them to let me know their SWIFT Code. I tried a few times, the phone did ring, but none took the call. Then I communicated using the mailbox option in Net Banking. Still I  haven't got a reply. 

This is how most employees in our Public Sector Banks seem to work, with the added excuse 'Covid lockdown'.

Yesterday when I mentioned about it to an acquaintance who works at a senior level at the bank's head office, he cautioned me against disclosing SWIFT Code. I think that it was a good advice. I think that using the Code, such fraudulent companies and individuals can hack our account and cause harm. 

Fraud and professional arrogance/indifference seem to be universal.

By the way, as I have mentioned in an earlier post, I am deliberately disclosing the names of fraudulent companies and individuals, based on my own experience, to prevent readers of my blog from getting cheated by such companies and individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.