16 February 2022

Neighbourhood nuisance

Today was the last day of taking a divine bath known as 'Maagha snaanam' marking the end of one month period. Although according to Hindu Scriptures, we are expected to get up, brush our teeth, wash, take bath and complete daily rituals such as Sandhyaa Vandanam, chanting of Shree Naaraayana Ashtaakshara Manthram etc. before sunrise, people like me are unable to do this. It is for such people that the Scriptures have relaxed some rules and regulations. According to these, one should strictly observe this, at least on any one day during this one month duration. 

As today is the last day, I tried to follow this although I couldn't, with perfection. As I got up by 4 am with not much sleep overnight, I felt sleepy in the afternoon. But by the time I fell into somewhat sound sleep, here was the woman residing next door, keeping her TV or Mobile with loud sound level. She has been doing it for the past few months even during nights, some times even during midnight. I think that she does so as she doesn't get good sleep herself. A few weeks back, I told her not to do this as it disturbs even a very few hours of my sleep every day. She didn't accept doing it. She is the attendant woman to my next door neighbour. He is about five or six years older than me. He doesn't seem to have wife, family or children. Although he seems to be physically okay (going to the Apartment Office to pay maintenance charges etc), I don't know why he needs a woman attendant to 'take care' of him round the clock including nights. This attendant woman who is about 60 plus stays full time with him in his apartment. My problem is that this old man too never bothers about her disturbing my sleep.






No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.