16 January 2023

Food scene in Phnom Penh

As I mentioned in my earlier posts there are a few TV Channels which remain to be my favourites; one of them  being Singapore based 'Channel New Asia'. Some time back, as I was fiddling the channel's website, I came across a program shot in Phnom Penh, where I lived and worked. 

The program reminded me of the enormous difficulties that I had encounteres as a strict vegetarian. 

Posted in Phnom Penh, and residing in the city most of the time, I never had any problem, thanks to my moderately furnished accommodation with facilities such as gas stove, washing machine etc. 

Fresh vegetables, fruits and grocery items like vegetarian noodles (of many types) were easily available in Super Markets such as Sorya (derived from the Indian term Sooryaa), Pencil etc. in the city. There were also grocery shops run by individual Indians and Bangla Deshis.

Whenever I was tired to cook, there were many Indian and Nepali restaurants from where I could order 100% vegetarian food items. 

Whenever I had to travel to provinces and stay for a few days on work, I used carry food items neatly packed by customer friendly staff such as Arjun and Ramadas.

George Bernard Shaw, Irish author and Nobel Prize winner, was a wrll known strict vegetarian.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.