22 June 2023

My interest in Cambodia

As a professional who worked in Cambodia, I retain my interest in this country and it's people. This morning it was interesting to view a program on Angkor Wat as telecast by CNN. Bhudhism is the state religion of the country. As Bhudhism is derived from Hinduism, many traditions of ancient Hindu practices such as bachelor young men seeking food by visiting households in the area and presenting them to priests in the temple, who used to share the food with their disciples are being followed to this day all over the country. It is believed that the country was inhabited by kings from Chola or Pallava dynasty in Tamilnadu and that they established the Khmer dynasty in the country. 

After viewing the above mentioned program, I had the pleasure of viewing another interesting program on TravelXP, another favourire TV Channel of mine. This program reminded of my stay in Shaba, where I worked as a teacher, and my 4 miles walks to Paro post office to collect my letters after lunch by which time the classes would be over. I fondly remember my colleague and good friend Nagarajan (from Nagapattinam), who used to accompany me to Paro and back. He was a Brahmin like me. State religion Bhutan is also Bhudhism.

According to historic evidences, these two countries and many others including present day Afghanistan in West Asia to Indonesia in South East Asia were parts of ancient India known as 'Bhaarath versh'.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.