11 August 2023

Soccer on sundays

ABC's 'Pacific' is an interesting program as it features countries in the South Pacific. Although each episode is only 30 minutes long, it covers almost all countries in the region.

This morning's episode consisted of a news item showing how soccer is promoted in high schools in Fiji. Known as 'Football for Schools', it seems to be very popular. (There are a few other countries such as South Africa in which soccer is very popular. I remember my visits to the local football ground on weekends to view local teams play).

Region specific games such as African football and Bhutanese archery are a nice treat to eyes.

I think that it would be nice if our schools give priority to soccer when allocating budgets, for all the benefits of the game.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.