18 September 2024

Radical changes in School Education

Singapore is one of the best countries that offers quality school education, although there are common problems such as teachers' workload.

Singapore Education Ministry has come up with drastic reforms in the system according to a news report.

As far as I have observed, there are many problems in School Systems in India, Cambodia etc. Every sensible Indian would know our classroom and school realities such as large sized classrooms, violence, undue workload on teachers etc. 

When I was working in Cambodia, my line manager and Director General at the Inspectorate of Education, Ministry of Education, told me how the school principals used to encourage private tuitions due to poor salary of teachers and how the Education Ministry was trying to handle the issue.

I think that developing countries including our own country can implement similar strategies in our school systems. 

My professional responsibilities in Cambodia included developing materials to improve school quality, gender mainstreaming in schools and different departments in Education Ministry etc. I was glad that I could guide their school principals to monitor and work to get the quality of their schools improved, by developing easy to use materials such as the one outlined  here.

Following is photo that I took when my students were enjoying their game in a high school in which I served as Principal in 1997. It was in Bengaluru:





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.