There is an old idiom "There's many a slip between the cup and the lip". Something that happened during my dinner some time ago reminded me of the idiom that was popular during my school and college days.
In our indigenous food, rice, wheat pancakes and vegetable gravy (known as "saambaar") are very popular. This evening I found that the gravy served to us had a better aroma than the one served so far. I was glad about the welcome change.
I began eating my dinner with the new gravy. Within minutes, the guy sitting opposite to me coughed out loudly right on the table. He seems a few years younger than me. I am 75. I intended to order for some more gravy. But this guy's cough put me and my intention off.
A few weeks ago, a middle aged guy was seated opposite to me. When both of us were in the middle of our lunch, he broke his 'appalam' with such a force that a large piece fell on my plate, viz. banana leaf, on which our food is usually served.
Three appalams on a plate
There is an elderly woman who comes to our dining hall daily just like myself, the above mentioned guys and many other senior citizens who use the dining hall daily. This woman has the habit of making some peculiar noise when chewing food.
Although I always try to occupy a chair near an empty table, it becomes futile.



No comments:
Post a Comment