17 April 2012

Quality aspects of School Education in India

The Right to Education Act which came into being two  years back, and the recent Supreme Court ruling seem to  have generated a lot of discussions and debates over the issue. 

Though I don't have time to write as to how schools and departments of education can handle the issue, I do find time to keep myself informed of diverse views on the issue when reading my morning newspaper, watch TV or academic surf.

This morning, I happened to read a very interesting and thought provoking article based on facts. (I have mentioned an article written by the same author, Aruna Sanakaranarayanan, in one of my previous posts too).

Individual schools having an important role to play when it comes to ensuring quality in their systems, I think that the objectives of the RTE can certainly be met by involving all stakeholders actively in the implementation process.

As concerned Government Departments and Private Schools work on the issue, it is high time that our Syllabus Boards come up with better syllabi, by replacing quantity with quality. I think that we have a lot  to learn from curricular reforms in other countries.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.