30 August 2017

Pre-conceived fantasies and Public policies

This afternoon, I heard a news report on Podhigai TV about NIIT Aayog's proposal for private public partnership in K-12 sector. Any right minded, honest and dedicated School Education Management Professional without vested interests would know that this proposal is based on a very commonly (and WRONGLY) perceived notion that private schools are better than government schools in India in terms of quality. There are exceptions, but these are very small in proportion.

In the same bulletin, there was a news report that those who drive without valid licence would have to pay a fine of Rs 500 or undergo one week's imprisonment or both, according to Tamilnadu Government rules. I think that the punishment is very very negligible considering the arrogant or corrupt attitudes of people, value of money and the 'VIP' status accorded in prisons by corrupt officials. Any kind of punishment should be severe enough  so that culprits never even imagine committing such offence/s again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.