23 January 2022

BBC Travel Show

As a travel enthusiast, I had always been fascinated by visiting different places and observing people until a few years back. If I couldn't travel physically, I used to quench my thirst on my computer screen relying on virtual reality.

Like numerous BBC fans, I retain my interest in viewing their Travel Show. This evening's programme featured a housing complex in Tokyo with an apartment building consisting of cubic shaped residences, resembling those of LEGO cubes. People have been living here since the 1970s, and as one person said, it is sad that the these residences are on their way to demolition. With very significant nostalgia, I remember using LEGO and other toys when teaching English language, Mathematics and Physics to my students in different countries. 

In one of these, there is a DJ presenting music using the old Gramophone. This took me back to my boyhood days when I had seen my maternal grandfather listening to southern Indian classical music with his Gramophone records collection. 

I think that though we have come a long way in terms of technology, I think that olden days were golden. It applies to Computer operating systems as well. I don't know whether every one will feel like the way I do: Windows 3.1 was much more  presentable and user friendly and than the present Windows OS.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.