24 January 2022

Travelxp

Contrary to weather telecasts on BBC, CNN and many other channels, today's weather in Chennai (where I reside) has been very cloudy with no trace of Sun's rays morning; there were some rains. Hence, like many folks do, I have been munching my favourite ready made snacks and simply watching good programmes on TV. 

As I have mentioned in my earlier  posts, Travelxp is one of my favourite channels. This evening's program featured Kolkata, regional capital of West Bengal in India. It was nice viewing the city known fir its Rabibdranath Tagore and Ras gulla. It's really nice that the city still has a lot of Ambassador cars (one of the earliest brands manufactured in our country); these are run as taxis (cabs). Similarly Mumbai still has a lot of Premier Padmini taxis. Premier Padmini is the Indian version of the Italian Fiat. It's a pity that other cities and towns have completely done away with Ambassadors and Premier Padminis. 

As some one who is very fond of Premier Padmini (with nostalgic experience of driving one and travelling long distances alone or with relatives and friends), I feel a little disappointed that no manufacturer has helped revive the production of such cars although they can very well meet current demands technologically.

In countries such as the UK, old cars are still respected and run as taxis. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.