26 April 2024

Berlin in United Germany

During lunch, as I was browsing the TV Channels, I came across an interesting program on DW TV. It was a documentary on Berlin.

Half of Berlin city belonged to West Germany (known as Federal Republic of Germany) and the other half, to East Germany (German Democratic Republic) with the two countries backed by the US and the then USSR respectively before the Berlin Wall was dismantled in the late '80s or early '90s. I remember how my colleagues from West Germany were doubtful about the benefits of unification of these two countries as a single country. When we look at history, we can find that both countries benefited from the unification and the dismantling of the Berlin Wall.

I tried to provide a link to the program, but couldn't find any option in DW TV's website.

There are other examples such as Vietnam as well, with similar results.

I think that when countries unite, they are stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.