28 April 2024

Government mismanagement

Recently Gukesh, a teenage chess player, won the first rank in an international chess tournament held in Canada. Like all patriotic citizens I feel proud at this. 

But what I cannot stand is the way in which our politicians and Government Agencies treat the winner by giving huge cash prizes such as Rs 75 Lakhs given to Gukesh. If it is Mr Stalin's personal money, it is up to him. But this money is tax payer's money. 

The boy comes from a very affluent parentage with his ENR surgeon father and Microbiologist mother. Besides, the very fact that he is a student of Velammal School is enough evidence of the boy's wealthy financial background provided the obvious fact that Velammal School has always been charging very exorbitant fees (far higher than that stipulated by the Government) and any even minded Education Management Professional would know how such high fee charging schools function.

I don't think that it is ethical of politicians to use public funds for self centered interests. Such practices should be banned.

The amount given to the boy could have been used very effectively to buy chess boards and other such materials, to improve sports facilities etc. in our Government Schools. In this way, children from poor families can also be benefitted.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.