19 July 2024

Media and quality degradation

As I write this post, there is a news that there is a mass IT outage across the world due to some technical issue with Microsoft.

We have been experiencing degradation of quality in all consumer goods from food to TV Channel content in general globally. Let me confine to media content in this post.

BBC World TV Channel's regular viewers would notice gradual but significant reduction in quality in it's programs over the past few years.

(I began listening to BBC World Service when I was a teenager in late 1960s and had been a regular listener until the early '90s, when I switched my interest to BBC World TV). 

Even 15 years ago, BBC World TV's programs such as Travel Show and Click used to change content every week. Nowadays, they don't do this. For example, today's Travel Show episode is 100% the same as that was telecast one week ago. 

Following is a clip from today's Travel Show telecast by BBC News TV Channel:


Besides, the program  content is certainly not as good as it used be even a few years ago. This applies to many programs telecast by BBC WORLD.

I don't understand why BBC and media outlets cannot change the way in which they function.  

More importantly, it is an obvious fact that in general, quality of people's attitudes and their behaviour is also undergoing deterioration globally. 

Regarding Microsoft OS, Sayee (my maternal uncle's son), a brilliant computer engineer with a Master's degree from a University in the US, says that Linux is a better OS than MS. I trust his opinion. He has worked in World Bank etc.






No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.