28 July 2024

Oddities in Online shopping

Most of us, particularly those who are 73 years of age like me, experience the convenience of online shopping. It reduces our risk of walking in chaotic streets and roads, it saves time etc. Still, when looked at holistically, it is not as good and straight forward as shopping in the store.

Yesterday I had a very unpleasant experience of ordering my dinner via www.swiggy.com.

I ordered for dosa and sambar costing nearly Rs 200. When ordering, I gave my residential address in their website. I paid the cost via Google Pay. 

After a few minutes I had a call from the delivery person that the address that I gave was wrong as his Google Map showed a different area of the city. There was no need for him to use Google Map when I had given my residential address including landmark correctly. 

He said that he cannot deliver the item and said that my order is cancelled; he also said that I should remit Rs 185 to Swiggy for cancellation. 

Thus I lost my money due to Swiggy's fault.

Recently we have seen the global chaos due to malfunctioning at Microsoft. 

Technology is useful when in good hands, but disastrous when in bad hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.