01 November 2021

Deepaavali: Festival of lights

As Deepavali is just a few days away, my memory takes me back to my younger days. 

In those days, my father used to buy crackers  two months earlier and my mother used to distribute them to us. Thereafter, I, Jyothi (my sister) and Ramesh (my brother) used to exchane them according to our likes and dislikes (for example as I was afraid of handling large crackers, I used to exchange them for light crackers with my brother who was fond of large ones. He was far more daring than my father. Mr. Padmanabha Rao, a professional cook and a nice gentleman used to make sweet items such as Jangri etc. a few days before the festival. My mother used to make items like kai murukku (for which she used to have  bronze or brass implements, taken away by Jyothi later). All the eatables were offered to Shree Hari and Shree Mahaa Lakshmi before our consumption and distribution to our neighbours, friends, well-wishers and the needy people. 

Apart from these, Ramesh used to do additional shoppings for crackers (for all the three of us). During the Fest, my father used to be active in firecrackers like us children whereas my mother used to be busy in the kitchen cooking special items.

These were all not unique in our house; these were part of all good households.

As Mary Hopkin sang in her famous song, "Those were the days...".

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.