10 April 2022

Shree Raam Fest

Today is a very auspicious day in the Hindu almanac. This is the day on which Shree Mahaa Vishnu incarnated as Shree Raam and born to King Dasarathaa and Queen Kowsalyaa in Ayodhyaa, millions of years back. This day marks the end of Shree Raama Navaraathri and is celebrated as Shree Raama Navami. In many temples including the famous Seethaa Raamaswamy temple at Bhadrachalam, Devine Wedding of the Couple and Coronation of Shree Raam as King, are also celebrated.  I fondly remember my beloved mother who used to view Shree Raama Navami celebrations at this temple via TV, every year ofcourse after offering worship to Lord Shree Raam and Shree Seetha Devi.

The following image is a doll of our Divine Father Lord Shree Raam with his wife and our Devine Mother Shree Seethaa Devi.


Festive bells seem to ring stronger this year than ever before on many TV Channels, thanks to the efforts of our beloved Prime Minister and his team.

(When I appreciate Shree Modi and his team, I do not mean that his people and party are free of corruption. As in every community, there are good and bad people. When BJP came to power first, there was a BJP MP by name Ram Jethmalani. He was a popular advocate at the Supreme Court. He got one of the Indira Gandhi's assassins acquitted and let him free. From that time onwards, my respect for Atal Behari Vajpayee, who was Prime Minister at that time and who appointed this rascal advocate as Minister, came to an end.

Congress party may be more corrupt than BJP. But still, it does have corruption free MPs, for example, Shree A K Antony.

I have worked in Kerala and Gujarat when A K Antony and Narendra Modi were chief ministers respectively, and I know as to how their governing was corruption free).

On this Shree Raama Navami day, my memory takes me to Rustenburgh, a large town in South Africa. My good friend Kishore Ambaram, who had a garments shop there, took me for a Bhoomi Pooja celebration organised by the local Gujatathi community. It was pleasant and surprising that whenever these people, young and old, met with each other they always greeted saying "Raam Raam" and not "Hi", "How are you?", "Good morning" etc.

This came as an answer to my long time doubt as to why youngsters of Indian origin who belong to Tamil and Telugu parentage were not fluent in their mother tongue and traditions, unlike South African youth of Gujarathi origin and parentage. I think that people of my generation in such Tamil and Telugu communities have not passed their mother tongue and traditions on to their children properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.