07 November 2022

Poet's birth centenary

Today is the birth centenary of Ala. Valliappa, one of the most popupular poets and writers for children.

When I was a school going kid, my father used to buy a lot of children's books in English and Tamil, and my mother used to explain the contents to me.

I fondly remember the writer's collection of poems published in two volumes; it was entitled 'Malarum Ullam', a Tamil term meaning 'Blossoming heart'. I remember the nicely printed contents with very child friendly font with the books bound using cloth. It had a dark blue colour covering.

I found the news about the writer's birth centenary from Google search, during my browsing. I tried to access info from Polimer News, a Tamil language TV news channel, but couldn't find any mention about it. I think that our news channels don't give due importance to writers etc. as much as they do to political rascals such  Perarivalan (who was involved in Rajiv Gandhi assassination); TV news watchers would know that he was given such a lot of importance as if he was a patriot who fought for our country's independence from the British.

Following is the image of Perarivalan rascal with his mother and his supporters soon after release from Vellore prison:


Following is an image of the writer:


As Mary Hopkin sang, "Once upon a time there was a tavern ...those were the days my friend ...".

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.