26 July 2023

Swartruggens

When browsing my mobile Net, I came across Swartruggens Hotel situated on the National Highway connecting Botswana and South Africa. I remember staying in a guest house owned by this hotel and given on monthly rental basis. I and John Karikkaatil, a colleague from Kerala stayed in the guest house with two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a common hall. I and John taught in a South African Government High School situated nearly half an hour's drive from our resident. 

I remember a South African Indian Grocery Store just opposite the guest house, from where I used to buy my groceries. I remember how I used to make my favourite cheese sandwiches before retiring at night. I used to keep them in the fridge and take it to school for lunch the next day (as I didn't have time to cook in the mornings except on weekends). Schools began at 7.30 am or 8 am in the mornings.

As self driving was not easy as the roads were rough, we used to depend on taxis to travel to the school and back. I remember Mr France, a kind Setswana speaking taxi driver who used to take me every day from my residence to school and back.

I remember the colourful weekend flea markets and a popular billiards game room nearby our residence.

The local post office was very nearby and it was easy for me to pick letters to me as I had my own PO Box provided by the Post Office on rental basis.

On some weekends I and John used to view football matches that were very popular among the local people.

Some times I and John used to visit our South African Indian friends of Gujarathi origin; they owned grocery shops, tailoring shops etc. in the town.




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.