28 September 2023

Dr M S Swaminathan

I think that our country has lost one of it's top agricultural scientists in Dr M S Swaminathan's demise. He served the world at large and our own country as an accomplished agricultural scientist.  


I remember my brief meeting with him when I was sent by PREPARE, a Chennai based NGO, to participate in a function organised by M S Swaminathan Research Foundation, in mid 1990s, when a set of videos developed by Mrs Mina Swaminathan, Mr Swaminathan's wife and an eminent educationist, was launched. These videos contained evidence based case studies of issues related to the school bag burden of school kids.  These were telecast over Chennai National TV Channel. I was the first participant to arrive at the venue. As I sat in the Conference Hall, Dr Swaminathan and his wife came to the hall and greeted me. They also inquired about the welfare of Dr Jacob D Raj, Founder CEO of PREPARE, and his wife Dr Daisy Dharmaraj. This NGO served in Childcare and Education, Health and a few other areas of human development in Chennai, Telengana and Odisha. It provided opportunities to well qualified and dedicated professionals to work in a corruption free environment.


Following image shows me, Dr Daisy Dharmaraj, the chief guest and Dr Jacob D Raj, from left to right, at a function organised by PREPARE:




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.