26 September 2023

Shree Mahaa Vishnu

Today being Ekaadashi, is a very auspicious day to some Maadhwaa communities. Though Ekadashi was yesterday, according to the Almanac published by Uttaradi Mutt (to which I belong), in some areas such as Chennai (where I reside), Ekaadashi is observed today. As I have mentioned in my earlier posts, it is a very auspicious day, and Vaishnavite including Maadhwaa devotees offer special worship to Shree Mahaa Vishnu and His wife Shree Mahaa Lakshmi. They also fast on this day. 

This evening I had the joy of listening to a divine discourse in this Utube video. It was of particular interest to me. The speaker Shree Satyavijayacharya hails from a village known as Satyavijaya Nagaram, near a town known as Arni near Vellore, in Tamilnadu. This village was large with a significant community of Brahmins many decades ago. My maternal grandmother hailed from this place. There was a Maadhwaa saint known as Satyavijaya Theertharu who is said to have attained Brindaavan in this place.

When I remember my maternal grandmother, I fondly remember her Krishna Bhakthi; she used to sing Krishna songs from the time she finished bathing until she began cooking or so. We used to visit her during some holidays. (My grandmother's brother known as 'Vaasu maama' among my mother and her siblings, was Principal of a Sanskrit College in Mysuru).

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.