13 December 2023

COP 18 Summit

Yesterday, as we all know, the global COP 28 Summit came to an end with "historic package" as it's President remarked.

This is not the first time that a climate summit has taken place. If my memory serves me well, three was a large scale summit held in South America in the early 1990s with similar deliberations, action planes and manifestos. Unfortunately, none of it's action plans helped achieve the aims and objectives.

Ofcourse, in the most recent Dubai summit, even small countries in the South Pacific took part and their voices were heard. This is a significant difference.

Such summits will continue to be held in glamorous cities but the reality in most countries is that the situation only shifts from bad to worse day by day and year by year. Considering Chennai, where I am settled, Carbon emission from transport vehicle engines and industrial waste has not subsided at all. If you travel in Chennai, you can not miss seeing cars and motorbikes fumimg out a lot of smoke from their mismanaged exhaust systems. None seems to be worried about it, even the traffic cop who is supposed to book rascal drivers/owners of such vehicles. Yes, at times he catches the culprits but corruption ends the episode.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.