14 October 2011

Off the beaten track: Decaying cultural values

"Held for molesting step-daughter: TAMBARAM: Pallavaram police have arrested a 42-year-old man on  charges of molesting his step-daughter.." so goes a news report on page 5 of today's Chennai edition of THE HINDU newspaper.

Such incidents are unfortunately seen to be increasingly common. I just don't understand as to how people can behave so badly. Whenever I happen to see any dad embracing his teenage daughter or any mom embracing her teenage son, I find it indecent. 

There are many ways for parents to express their affection to children.  Whether it is a father who  displays his affection for his daughter or a mother who displays her affection for her son, I think that such a display should never be by hugging or kissing, at least when children attain teenage.  There are several dignified ways of showing affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.