10 October 2011

Off the beaten track: The Beatles

Yesterday was the death anniversary of John Lennon of the The Beatles. Like tens of thousands youngsters during the '60s and '70s, I was also attracted by their softrock music (though I didn't like lyrics of many of their songs). It was interesting to read about them (George Harrison's association with ISKCON and his meeting with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, Paul McCartney's skill in handling his sitar after getting trained from Pandit Ravi Shankar, etc).

I used to be very interested in listening to softrock music and reading magazines such as LIFE and JUNIOR STATESMAN (popularly known as JS) for their articles on softrock bands. The Beatles were one of the most popular western softrock bands of that era.  One of their best songs was Get Back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.