13 October 2011

Off the beaten track: Druk kingdom's royal wedding

There is a country just neghbouring India in the north east. It is beautiful in terms of landscape, natural resources, nice people and national economy indicators such as Gross National Happiness. Its government takes careful steps in retaining the country's traditional values and in prevening many problems which we see in many developing countries including India.

Today, Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuk, king of this beautiful country Bhutan, married Jetsun Pema, in a colourful ceremony in Phunakha, a regional town.


I remember pleasant times when I taught in schools in this beautiful Himalayan kingdom from 1978 to 1981 and then again in 1985. When I taught in a beautiful village known as Shaba, as the classes ended at 3 PM on all weekdays, afte lunch, I and my friends used to walk a few kilometres to Paro, the provincial town to collect our mails from the post office. I cannot describe the beautiful landscape through which we walked, in words. En route, we used to pass the plot which was later to become the first airport (Paro airport) in the Kingdom. Following photo shows me with a few colleauges and their children:

It is possible to know about this interesting country and its people to some extent from the country's Postal Department.  

Let me leave you with some melodious Bhutanese music.

Kadrinche la (Thank you).

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.