17 July 2021

South African unrest

I sincerely wish that the situation in Durban and Kwa-zulu Natal improves and that normalcy is restored.

Angry South Africans' targeting Indians is obviously not justified, and as their President Cyril Ramaphosa said, such attacks are planned. As we all know, every community has good and bad people.

I remember how people of different races lived peacefully as a community, in Durban and all over the country, when I was working in the region.

Indians including those running businesses, have been making significant contribution to South African economy eversince Gandhiji's days there. Their contribution cannot be forgotten. 

Infact our fellow country folks have contributed to development of countries in which it is like tip of the iceberg. When I was working in Ethiopia in 1982-83, 'Augusta' shirts were very popular as a branded commodity. It was being manufactured by a Company founded and run by people of Indian origin.

(I know a few colleagues from our country who left teaching and opened grocery stores). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.