11 July 2021

Tale of two towns

Though there are numerous entertainment TV channels today, there aren't many that offer programs featuring food, travel, people and places, all under one roof. One such channel is Epic channel. 

After a few weeks, it was interesting to view one of the channel's programs entitled "Raja, rasoi aur annya kahaniyan". (I tried to access it from the Channel's website but unfortunately it is under maintenance. Hope I can access it when it is possible, and provide a link to it). 

This program feaured two large towns in Tamilnadu. One is Thanjavur and the other, Pudukkottai. The first is famous for its people of Marathi origin. These people's ancestors came from Maharashtra a few centuries back along with their Maratta king Raja Sarfoji. These people follow Maharashtrian customs and traditions and speak what is popularly known as 'Thanjavur Marathi' (that is significantly different from that spoken in Maharashtra).  This Marathi was the mother tongue of my mother's parents and my paternal grandfather's parents. (Mother tongue of my paternal grandmother was Kannada). I and my two siblings were brought up conversing in Thanjavur Marathi and Kannada.

Pudukkottai is the headquarter town of what is popularly known as Chettinadu and is well known for its history and cuisine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
I am a retired K-12 Education Management Professional. I have worked at different levels in K-12 school systems, textbook publishing, elearning and Education NGOs. I have held memberships in The Association for Science Education (UK), American Association of Physics Teachers and The Malaysian Institute of Physics. I hold a 1st class B Sc Degree in Physics followed by B Ed [English and Physical Science] and M A [Childcare and Education] degrees. My published works include 59 articles in teacher development magazines in India and the US and a book entitled `Creative Classrooms and Child Friendly Schools' (listed in Amazon). This book is almost an anecdotal account of my professional experience in six countries (including Cambodia where I worked as Technical Adviser to the Ministry of Education, Youth And Sports). I served as mentor in the Certificate of Teaching Mastery Program offered by Teachers Without Borders.